Tuesday, July 3, 2007

*Stunned Silence*


David Sullivan walked. Clark County Superior Court Judge John Nichols found ­Sullivan not guilty of first-degree murder by reason of insanity and ordered him committed indefinitely to a mental hospital.

I thought we were beyond this, you know. In my naivete I still heard people scream 'Bi Polar' to excuse their actions, the world not wanting to be responsible for its actions. Had I a dollar for every one of them that shouted 'I blacked out' I would be a rich man but they still went to jail. They still were convicted. They were punished for their actions.I thought we had moved beyond excuses. Judges were interpereting the law and modifying it to fit the situation. Lawyers, DEFENSE lawyers, were making plea bargains on scumbags they knew they could get off clean for one reason with the case or another. They felt a role to play in keeping society safe too.

This takes us a step back. We've lost some ground here.

Think about it. In the Columbian article it even alludes to the progress Americans had made:
The state's definition of insanity is narrow; Tuesday's ruling marked the first time since 1999 a Clark County murder defendant met the standard.

The first time in eight years. No Judge Nichols. I can almost gaurantee you statistically there have been other cases that met the criteria. THE CRITERIA WAS IGNORED ! Why ? Because society is gaining common sense in post-9/11 America. We are starting to see the value of prudence, that the rights of the many outweigh the rights of the one as brought into startling clarity by Harris and Klebold. We are starting to remember that freedom does not mean relinquishing our safety.
The shrink that examined him for the defense had this to say:

The knowledge that stabbing a person is illegal and immoral may be in Sullivan's brain somewhere, but when he's in a psychotic state "he's going to have difficulty accessing it," Kolbell said.

"when he's in a psychotic state..." ? Sounds like 70's/80's Temporary Insanity bullshit. Are there times when he is NOT in a psychotic state ? If you tell me yes then I'm going to tell you that Sullivan will be living with you from now on. When he goes into one of his 'psychotic state's, you be sure to let me know.

The Beast is laughing at us and turning back toward its latest project.

First my brothers and I weren't there for Anna, now the Judicial Branch turns its back on her memory. When I no longer feel outraged over this ruling it will be because I've finished my journey on this planet.

2 comments:

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

People are trying to blame Britney’s problems on Bi Polar disorder…

MsP

Chicken McFuggits said...

I can believe that. We live in a day and age where shrinks can invent new disorders to explain why people do things when the answer is just immaturity.