Thursday, February 22, 2007

a wall stands alone....


I live in the South where you can walk around in the woods and find remnants of former lives spread about in the wildest places. The photo I just put up is a brick wall I found on Hilton Head, SC. Out in the middle of nowhere.
Reminds me of when I lived in Kentucky 15 years ago or so. Worked with an archeologist for odd jobs. We'd end up miles from civilization and find a house slowly crumbling from age. I was told that the hill people did such things, just abandoned their spread. On occasion, or so I'm told, you find the former occupants' remains sitting in a chair reading a paper dated 1960. We'd be looking for Indian burial caves and such for coal mining companies (required by law lest they rip apart a graveyard) and come across houses with wells and barns and such. No road leading in, mind you. Spoke with a day hired hand once who told me about being raised in the hills during the 50's. Dad would hitch up the mules and they'd go into town for supplies and to trade furs, much like the western frontier in the 1800's.
We've come a long way since then, but to speak with this guy, you wouldn't think advancement was all it was cracked up to be. The way he put it, families were alot closer then, since the next door neighbor was an hour's hike away. Something to think about, as I hike around in the woods searching for treasures of the mind.

No comments: